Role: R&D Packaging Engineer
Salary: Highly Competitive + Excellent benefits!
Location: Hull / Kingston upon Hull
Science Solutions Recruitment are recruiting on behalf of a Global FMCG Healthcare client for an R&D Packaging Engineer. You will be responsible for end to end packaging development from innovation through to maintenance of on the market products. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in global projects and join a leading brand within the Healthcare Market.
You must come from either; Pharmaceutical, Medical Devices, Household, Cosmetics or Bioscience background!
- Designs structural packaging through the use of appropriate structure analyses, test methods, design methodologies, feasibility justification, and business case processes.
- Manages structural packaging development and improvement projects to meet company goals, and coordinates with Project Managers and Organization Leads to ensure project milestones are met within expectations of timeline, quality/performance requirements, and budget.
- Consults and manages innovation development partners and external manufacturing organisations, in the development of packaging for components and materials.
- Develops and executes test methods, validations, and protocols for packaging projects.
- Define/refine the packaging development process, workflow and structures.
- Establishes supplier quality standards and supports supplier Quality Department audits as needed.
- Creates packaging related SOP's and Work Instructions. Provides training for appropriate Production/ Manufacturing personnel performing packaging related activities.
- Creates/maintain accurate documentation to meet company, testing, and regulatory expectations.
- Reviews and approves product change controls and packaging process changes, including technical labels specifications and packaging related content.
- Supports packaging related Value Engineering and Sustaining projects.
- Provides Marketing/Art Departments with die-lines for artwork development, and manages coordination of colour-match proof-print sign-off.
- Establishes quality control printing and colour-match parameters.
- Supports the company Project Managers with container and pallet pack-out data.
- Remains current on packaging innovations throughout the industry and proliferates leading technologies within the company.
- Drive a culture of innovation by maintaining awareness of competitor activities, new technologies and apply consumer insights to bring to market the best-in-class footcare products.
- Understand the development requirements and challenges of working within multiple regulatory frameworks. Covering several classifications such as general product, cosmetic, medical device, licenced medicine and biocides.
- Working alongside the R&D/SQRC Project Manager to ensure timely completion of projects with complex deliverables.
- Advising R&D Manager of key risks and providing mitigation plans.
- Stay up to date with relevant training requirements.
- Respond quickly to Ad-hoc projects to maintain continuous product supply challenges and preventing product out of stock situations, or changes in legislation.
- Bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering or Mechanical Engineering is required.
- 5+ years of experience in industrial or consumer packaging.
- Knowledge and understanding of packaging design validation standards including: ISTA, ISO, ASTM, etc.
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement concepts is needed.
- Proficiency in CAD packaging software required (TOPS, CAPE, ArtiosCAD, Solidworks).
- Familiarity with packaging requirements under different regulatory frameworks, including the creation and maintenance of technical files / dossiers.