A global chemicals and coatings company are looking for an R&D Chemist to join their team near Edinburgh.
As an R&D Chemist you will be synthesising and developing various novel products to support various technical and development projects.
To be considered for this role you will hold a degree in Chemistry or related subject and hold previous experience in the development of coatings.
The job role is split into 4 main areas; Product Development, leadership, training/mentorship and communication and relationship development:
- Considers how to achieve objectives agreed with their line manager
- Under the direction of their manager, plans and carries out lab work to further development of new products and processes in line with agreed business strategy.
- Ensures all assigned work and recording and reporting of data is delivered in a timely manner and all associated requirements, objectives and targets are fully met.
- Establishes the root cause of problems and proposes solutions
- Identifies new processes and materials
- Works to defined objectives and seeks guidance where necessary
- Contributes to the direction of the team
- Ensures high laboratory standards with respect to SHE and quality in all activities.
- Contributes to SHE and continuous improvement activities.
Training and mentorship
- Guides and positively influences others within the team
Communication and relationship development
- Completes tasks effectively to aid cooperation both internally and externally.
- Provides experimental support to prepare samples for customers and investigate customer issues with development products
- Collaborates with Production to support technical transfer of new processes to the Plant, also providing experimental support for specification setting.
- Assists in the preparation of Process Dossiers for handover of established products to the Plant.
- Degree in Chemistry or similar.
- 2+ years' R&D experience
- Awareness of SHE and Quality systems
- Excellent data interrogation and presentation skills
- Working knowledge of manufacturing SHE and Quality systems
- Awareness of current trends in relevant technology areas and available resources for identifying relevant background and technical information.
- Experience within surface coatings industry or similar field
- Ability to provide manufacturing shift support if the business requires it.