JOB TITLE: Protein Development Technologist
LOCATION: Cleveland, UK
SALARY: Competitive & Negotiable D.O.E
Protein Development Technologist , NPD, R&D , Research , Development , Ingredients , Pet Food
Amazing Protein Development Technologist role with a leading food ingredients developer and innovator, who are passionate about sustainability and improving security of food on a world scale. The company develops non-GMO proteins for both human and pet food.
We are looking for a Protein Development Technologist to help lead and manage further product development/NPD activities and develop/increase the scale on which we produce a range of new protein ingredients that demonstrate all kinds of nutritional benefits to performance.
- Lead the (Pet Food and Human Food) new ingredient (product development) programme - developing product application concepts and supporting customers through evaluation phases and through to commercial launch
- Develop product concept and prototype 'show case' across Food and Pet wet/dry/snacks/treats to support commercial relationships
- Support the Commercial Vice President and customer collaborations for Pet and Food projects with sample support, data, technical specification development and project management
- Lead the management of the company's database to showcase their areas of competitive advantage and value from their inherent product micro and macro nutrient profile and functionality benefits in application
- Build scientific support/nutrition dossier and competitive analysis v. animal, plant or other novel proteins and external expert endorsement and research collaboration.
- With the regulatory team and external consultants, determine the recommended daily (food) and max inclusion rate for cats and dogs, and coordinate product safety and performance to support the development of a technical dossier for regulatory approval in key global markets .
- Achievement and organisation of technical milestones and resources (internal and external) to deliver Pet and Food scale up and technical commercialisation program objectives
- Lead product specification governance and support DSP projects, lab and pilot trials to determine or validate product quality.
- Be the company subject matter expert for nutrition and measure their areas of competitive advantage v. plant and other microbial proteins.
- Collaborate internally with San Mateo (US) R&D labs, Engineering, Quality and operations (Chongqing) to detail product specifications and SOPs that ensure a safe, high-quality product is manufactured and delivered to meets the needs of the customer
- Develop external relationships with consultants and key suppliers in SME fields to continuously improve our nutrition and product performance benefits.
- Support the commissioning of new production sites, including pilot and production plants
- You will act as Lab Manager in this specific discipline.
- Experience in food/nutrition within product/ingredient development
- Education to degree level in Science
- Capacity to think strategically about food nutrition and product development
- Passionate about the future of food, food security, and sustainability
- Experience developing Food within FMCG or with retailers
- Demonstrable ability to make technical recommendations through analysis of data and information
- Competency in reporting and presenting both internally and externally
- Team player with the ability to work under their own initiative
- Aptitude for cross-functional collaboration with engineers, scientists and operators
- Self-motivated, proactive, and flexible in a fast-moving environment
- Willing to work outside normal working hours
- Able to travel to suppliers, customers and future production facilities
- Experience engaging with academia and managing PhD students/academic research
- Understanding of bioavailability of amino acids/pre-biotics/post-biotics
- Degree to be in Nutrition specifically
- Experience within Dairy or Animal/Plant proteins development will be extremely beneficial
Competitive salary range DOE, negotiable across a large scale